New WYSIWYG text widget
We have developed a new widget for use in our WordPress sites. It allows you to add text or images using the familiar Visual Editor with a toolbar, instead of a plain text widget where you have to write the html code yourself. Widgets are only available to site Administrators. To use this new, enhanced text widget, follow these steps:
- Login to WordPress.
- Click on Widgets.
- Expand the widget area for the sidebar you’d like to modify.
- Locate the “Text Editor” widget and drag it onto your widget area.
- Give your text widget a title if desired.
- Write or add images and links as you would on a regular page or post.
- Click Save (there is no preview) and view on your live site.
- The above example would display on a live site as shown below:
- The width of the sidebar is 200 pixels so any image’s width must be smaller than those dimensions to display properly.
- To create a single space or line break, hold down Shift and hit Enter/Return
- There is no preview or revision history for widgets. There is an undo button on the second row of buttons (to display second row click “Show/Hide Kitchen sink). Once you have saved and closed the widget, the changes cannot be undone.