New sidebar widget for events
Along with our new University Events Calendar, we have created a companion sidebar widget for use in any of our WordPress-based sites. This new widget will place a list of events onto your site’s sidebar. To use this widget, on your site, you must be an Administrator for your site. Here are the steps for incorporating it into your site:
- Login to your WordPress site and click “Widgets” on the sidebar.
- Expand the sidebar area where you would like your widget to go.
- Locate the widget called, “Events Calendar” and drag it onto your widget area. The widget will automatically expand to allow you to set the variables. It will look like this:
- Give your widget a title.
- Select any departments you would like to include. You can select more than one by holding down shift and clicking your mouse.
- Select any event types you would like to include in your list. You can select more than one by holding down shift and clicking with your mouse.
- Select the number of events you would like to show, number of days in the future and whether or not you would like to display an excerpt of the event description.
- If you do not choose to show a thumbnail image, the date will display in a gold box. This and other settings can be toggled on an off until you achieve your desired results.
- Click Save.
- View your live site and adjust settings as needed.
This is an example of a events calendar sidebar widget with 3 events displayed, the excerpt turned on, and using the small image.